“Sleeping well is the cornerstone to good health. Poor sleep has been linked to heart disease, heart attacks, diabetes, and obesity. Sleep is also necessary to the retention of information and learning new skills. You should be prepared to allocate time to making such an impactful decision as what is the best mattress for you.” –John Shaw, Director of Cantoni Sleep
D Home recently spoke with Cantoni’s Sleep Director, John Shaw to get his tips for “How to Buy: Mattresses That Will Make You Melt.” Check out his expert tips and advice on what to look for when mattress shopping to help you find the mattress that’s right for you!
- Dress for Success: First and foremost, dress comfortably when mattress shopping–nothing tight or constricting that won’t let your body settle and assume the positions that you actually sleep in.
- Allergies: If you have allergies to mattress synthetics or chemical fire retardants, consider natural and hypo allergic options to address those concerns.
- Couples Therapy: If you have a sleeping partner, they should participate in the shopping process. There are plenty of mattresses with adjustable firmness on each side of the bed to accommodate each partner’s tastes and needs.
- The Test Drive: The key to an optimal mattress is spinal alignment. The mattress needs to respond to your curves in a way that allows your spine to be straight when you lie on your side and maintain the natural curve when you lie on your back. Once you’ve narrowed down your choices to 2-3 mattresses, invest in a test drive. Spend at least 10-15 minutes in your primary sleeping position on each mattress to really determine how comfortable you will be on the prospective mattresses.
- Splurge-worthy: Don’t be afraid to invest in your mattress. Thousands of dollars can seem like a lot when paid all at once but think of what you’re paying per night. The average mattress lasts 10 years. So, for example a $20,000 mattress comes out to $2.80 a night per person. Not so bad considering you probably spend more than that on your daily vanilla latte.
Cantoni’s Sleep Director, John Shaw has 20 years of experience with bespoke apparel and going on 15 years of experience with specialty sleep systems, that includes client consultations, product design and implementation he has learned that: “Like a quality suit, the end result depends on how it is fitted to the individual, the same is true with a mattress” John is available to answer all your questions regarding the best sleep option for optimum health. Click here to complete the questionnaire below for a complimentary sleep consultation or contact John Shaw directly with any questions or to schedule an appointment via email here