One of the most common questions you’ll face when shopping for a new sofa, sectional or chair is, “leather or fabric?” While most of the time the answer comes down to which look and style you like best, there are some important factors worth considering before making any final decisions. Below we’ve put together the pros and cons for both to help you decide which is best for you.
- Bigger variety: When it comes to fabrics, the one thing you can be sure to count on is versatility. Fabrics offer a variety of textures, patterns, and colors, making it easy to find or customize a chair or sofa that suits your style and personality.
- Less Expensive: While there are definitely affordable leather seating options out there, most fabrics tend to be less expensive.
- More Prone to Stains: Unprotected fabrics may absorb food or drink stains as well as odors easily and aren’t the best choice for families with young children or pets. The good news though is that there are many beautiful fabrics with stain protection manufactured right into the fabric. In some cases, fabrics can be treated with a water based stain repellent treatment before being upholstered onto the final product.
- Require More Care: While leather tends to get better with age, some fabrics may become more worn over time. Being sure to perform regular maintenance by vacuuming and fluffing will go a long way in extending the life of your fabric pieces. Extra care should be taken not to leave furniture in direct sunlight for an extended time as fabric can fade.
*Though some fabrics can be less durable than leather, we do offer a variety of stylish and durable options that are stain-resistant. Connect with one of our design consultants to find out your available options.
- Wears Well with Age: Because leather is such a durable material, it outlasts in that it’s always in style and becomes even more beautiful with age. In fact, aniline leathers develop a rich, unique patina as well as become softer and more comfortable over time. Discover our wide range of full grain leather sectionals, sofas, and chairs with a supple hand to protected leathers perfect for children and pets.
- Easy to Maintain: Occasional vacuuming and wiping with a soft cloth is all that is necessary for general maintenance of leather furniture.
- Might Feel “Sticky”: Some people have said that leather can feel warm or sticky against exposed skin during hot weather. For others though, this isn’t the case and leather can feel extremely comfortable as it takes on the temperature of your body within 12 seconds. Because everyone is different, we recommend testing out a leather sofa or chair in-person first. Click here to find a store near you!
- More Expensive: Leather is arguably one of the most luxurious and elegant materials sought after. And while it’s certainly worthwhile, it tends to come with a higher price tag than most fabrics.
In addition to the pros and cons, you should also take into account your current lifestyle as it can help to determine whether leather vs. fabric is right for you. Below are some key questions to consider:
- How do you plan on using your sofa? Will you be eating on it or laying down on it a lot?
- Do you entertain frequently?
- Do you have young children?
- Do you have pets?
- Do you have any allergies?
- What is your decor and personal style?
- How much maintenance are you willing to do?
Whether you’re leaning towards fabric or leather or maybe you’re still undecided, our knowledgeable design consultants are here to help guide you through all of the questions above as well as advantages and disadvantages in order to help you find the perfect piece of furniture for your lifestyle. Make sure to visit us in-store or online sooner than later to take advantage of special savings on sofas, sectionals, chairs and more in a wide variety of fabrics and leathers during The Seating Event, September 9-25.